Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The hopelessness of youth in Puntland: half sailed and the other half are un-employed.


BY: Mohamed Omar Ahmed December 5, 2013.

photo courtesy: Abdi omar bile/archives
Back years in the history, Somalia was a place where the rule of law was respecting, human rights were upholding, it was a peaceful place and peace to its neighboring countries, a very productive member in the United nations and it was a land of which the youth were getting their part in the market of opportunities, regardless who they are, but what they are knowledgeable about and also they were given chances to exercise their potentials and such.
But, the Somali civil war had caught many people by surprise and shock on how was it that a nation and people that have so much things in common can all over sudden turn into a centre of tortures, systematic raping over the young girls, detentions of the innocent people in cells and the looting the property from one another, remember by people who are socially, religiously, color, or bloodily related?, such question, for us as Somalis, needs much concentrations and thinking.
Similarly, after the collapse of our strong government of Somalia, we got many names because of the failures that we encountered in the process, frequently, it is referred as a failed state and the United States and others as a haven of Al-Qaeda, but, personally; I puzzled when I hear such names and words.


However, in the most of the Somalia regions, like, the self-declared state of Somaliland, punt land, or the newly established state of Juba, there are a new born babies and they are booming with youth, that is to say our population roughly 75% are youth and 55% are out of the work environment since, they are the productive elements in our society in one way, or another, but there are no functional plans and Agendas on the tables for the youth in these regions and states and Punt land is not an exception.
  So far, the challenges of which our youth in Punt land face can be numerous and they can be looked at many aspects, but, Now, my focus is about youth who were left behind (under- employed youth) after they finished their studies on different areas and disciplines with Diplomas, Degrees and Masters within punt land and out of the punt land and I want to deliver out on this paper With their stories of how and why they were neglected and their will in the future and such as I go down.
Puntland is where we have local organizations, international organizations, governmental organizations and the private sectors are in place those are functioning, but, in my view and other students that they hire people with regards of some minor considerations like the tribalism, or otherwise and locally, the environment is not youth friendly, but, I want to hear from my fellow students of their responses on the subject of the matter.
 For example, Abdi Omar Bile, a friend of mine with a degree in computer science at East Africa University texted me this I am feeling proud to finish my first degree inside Somalia in one side, but, on other side of the story, I am not feeling happy and I am worrying, because, I applied more than 7 times to a different posts for a different organizations and agencies, five out seven , even I did not see my name on the short list paper and the remaining of the two times, they deviated the facts, still I remember how the exams and the papers were and how perfectly I discussed them, finally, I don’t want to end-up here, I want to go somewhere an look for a better  job. This guy told me some un- necessary words in his story, but I felt to omit and not present them on the paper.
Friends those who I interviewed with had different and tragic stories, this one Mohamed Adam Ali who has got a master in international relationships and diplomacy at Kampala international university in Uganda this is what he said now, I have a confident to handle certain work in relation to my area of specialization, but who wants to make my potentialities working, remember, if you go  our ministries and the local organizations here in punt land  work for those I knew their educational background  and this the final word I want to make is this, what lefts us back is tribalism, if we fail to sort it out, the youth will remain such situations.
Somalia cities in general is the home for the youth and Punta land is also the home of many youth who have something to it and they are ready to be positioned, but who wants to listen their demands and concerns, while, currently, the governmental offices enjoy and occupy by an interest- touched group of which their followers can get the advantages out of those offices and the rest are there waiting including the youth.
Likewise, a friend who decided not to display her name on the paper who has a master in  pure accounting shared me with her story by saying I am from a poor background family those served to me to educate myself first and then feed them back, because to whom much is given much is expected from, two years  is complete now the date I graduated from and up to now, I am under- employed and my family are worried about me on the fact that they sponsored  on me with the minimum resources they had, but, I am not going to surrender and looking for a best alternatives from God.
In punt land, we have a functioning political system in place for about fifteen years, where we were having from a regime to a regime with goodness and badness point view, and every candidate, during his comp gains, make promises on making things up and down and youth empowerments remain the top of them, however, we want a president who wants the voices and responds the demands of the youth in punt land in general without considering them in clan grounds that is about turning words into actions simply.
Sometimes, I call myself a youth activist in Punta land  and I am very proud for this work to help our younger via pens and scientifically written judgments for our leaders to wake- up and help us.
it’s shocking and sad when our youth are dying for hunger, poverty, and the most often demoralized  by the time they with degrees and masters, but, there is no doubt for them to join militias, or other being soldiers and misfortunately, the leaders and the business people  are just there watching and feeding their children and relatives, in relation this, the youth remain a productive members in our society, if Punt land  lose to utilize their minds and powers, I believe  that  it would soon other than later fail  and be an ash if you like.
In the wake of the youth in Punt land ,they also change their situations that they are in now through discussions into a new and better ones, currently, change they believe in which is good for their survival and the well-being as the figure there on the above illustrates as an example.
Finally, I want to say to the Somalia youth at large that wherever you go to business matters or for educational enrichments or go via dark journeys all the way to the abroad, but remember, the finest soil is the one of your home.
 As youth, we have to appreciate the resources we have in our land and, for me, I am Somalia, born in Somalia, but despite the challenges I do face in life, it remains my spiritual land.

 Contacts
Mohamed Omar Ahmed is a B.A in Development Studies at Puntland State University (PSU) in Garowe and a novelist,
 He can be reached at Mohamedkulan22@ gmail.com, or + 252-907593839.


No comments: